Performer / Writer
About This Interview
In his two hour Archive Interview, Garry Shandling discusses his childhood in Arizona and describes his early interest in comedy. He tells of majoring in electrical engineering in college, then switching to the business school and pursuing comedy writing. He speaks of having early success as a comedy scribe, writing three episodes of Sanford and Son and one of Welcome Back Kotter, and deciding to pursue stand-up comedy. Shandling recalls writing George Carlin-style monologues, and actually meeting Carlin and having him read his material. He describes his first appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, which led to guest-hosting the program. Shandling then details the creation of, the writers, and memorable moments on It's Garry Shandling's Show. He also describes the production and cast of The Larry Sanders Show, talks working with Ricky Gervais, and touches on hosting T he Emmy Awards. John Dalton conducted the interview in Los Angeles, CA.
Related To This Video
Watch highlights from "Ricky Gervais Meets ... Garry Shandling"
YouTube video player - HTML5 compatible.
- Garry Shandling on the writing process on It's Garry Shandling's Show
Clip begins at: 00:02, Duration: 03m 50s
- Garry Shandling on the character "Larry Sanders"
Clip begins at: 15:25, Duration: 01m 31s
- Garry Shandling on Jeffrey Tambor as "Hank" on The Larry Sanders Show
Clip begins at: 25:14, Duration: 02m 53s
- Garry Shandling on writing George Carlin style monologues and meeting Carlin
Clip begins at: 15:25, Duration: 04m 36s
- Garry Shandling on his first appearance on The Tonight Show
Clip begins at: 32:46, Duration: 01m 15s
- Garry Shandling on Gilda Radner's appearance on It's Garry Shandling's Show
Clip begins at: 08:13, Duration: 02m 17s
- Part 1
- On his early years and influences; on growing up in Tucson; on what he wanted to be when he grew up; on his interest in HAM radios as a kid; on his interest in comedy and comedians
Clip begins at: 0:17
- On studying electrical engineering in college and leaving his major; on writing George Carlin-style monologues and having Carlin critique his work; on moving to LA and writing for Sanford and Son and Welcome Back Kotter
Clip begins at: 10:22
- On getting into stand-up comedy; on getting into a bad car accident; on being discovered as a stand-up comic; on his act and getting on The Tonight Show; on working with Johnny Carson; on guest hosting The Tonight Show
Clip begins at: 26:50
- On his first Showtime special; on his acting teacher, Roy London; on The Garry Shandling Show 25th Anniversary Special; on his interest in hosting The Tonight Show when Joan Rivers left
Clip begins at: 37:31
- On It's Garry Shandling Show; on how similar he is to the the TV version of Garry Shandling and Larry Sanders, and on breaking the fourth wall and other television conventions; on the theme song to It's Garry Shandling's Show
Clip begins at: 50:00
- Part 2
- On the writing process and cast of It's Garry Shandling's Show; on Gilda Radner's appearance on It's Garry Shandling's Show
Clip begins at: 0:2
- On creating The Larry Sanders Show; on CBS offering him a late night show; on the death of his mentor, Roy London; on the character "Larry Sanders"; on the critics' reaction to the show; on using his personal experiences on The Larry Sanders Show; on the name "Larry Sanders"
Clip begins at: 10:30
- On Jeffrey Tambor and Rip Torn on The Larry Sanders Show; on the relationship between "Larry", "Hank" and "Artie"; on Judd Apatow writing for The Larry Sanders Show; on keeping the show fresh; on working some of his legal wranglings with Brad Grey into The Larry Sanders Show; on the finale of the show and the possibility of a reunion
Clip begins at: 25:14
- On the DVD extras of The Larry Sanders Show; on appearing on Ricky Gervais Meets; on hosting The Emmys; on then-current projects; on advice to aspiring comedians
Clip begins at: 43:05